Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New Painting: The Quilt Festival

I create my Paint Happy series with a combination of artist acrylic paints and hard pastels. I've been working on switching this series into oil paint. What a learning curve! In my work, technique follows concept, so switching mediums yet keeping the vibe the same is an interesting process. And it's hard.

So what's motivating this change? I often need to ship work to exhibits or to clients who have purchased a piece. Fuel costs have pushed up shipping costs, making shipping glass very expensive. Plexiglass is a workable substitute, but not uv protective to the work. Also, in areas where there is a lot of light reflection in a home, glass-covered art is harder to see. I'm enjoying the challenge of changing my process.

I just finished this piece and had my daughter take this photo of me holding the painting in the doorway of my studio. The oil painting represents the Sisters Quilt Festival in Sisters, Oregon. The original oil will be available through High Desert Gallery in Sisters, Oregon.

See more of my painting styles on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment