Monday, August 4, 2008

Sketchbook: Epee Fencing

Our daughter is an Epee fencer and our family enjoys traveling together to her events. A typical event includes thousands of people in a convention center. Athletes of all ages mix throughout the room. There is always something interesting to see.

Eppe fencing bouts are fast, so it's not easy to draw the athletes. Mostly I draw them in defensive "waiting/thinking" postures. I look for movement that repeats and concentrate on holding that image in my mind. Here's an ink drawing of my daughter as she stands at the ready at her end of the fencing strip.

Drawing from life is always fun. Athletes and Dancers move so beautifully that I'm often inspired to draw while at an event. If you'd like to know more about fencing here are some links to the official U.S. Fencing website. The events are free and are in different large cities around the country.
Fencing Facts: http://www.usfencing.org/usfa/content/view/1568/107/
Fencing Glossary: http://www.usfencing.org/usfa/content/view/1569/108/

For more of my artwork, see www.CristinaAcosta.com

No comments:

Post a Comment