Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Drawing Large as Life for Dia de los Muertos

It's been a long time since I've worked on a large drawing though I love creating large scale drawings and paintings. I experienced creating art on a large scale during my advertising billboard mural painting years in the 1980's, but that size and scale of art is problematic to frame and store, so I've since kept to smaller sizes of canvas and paper. I got lucky recently and got the opportunity to make something large.

A phone call from an exhibit curator at Arizona State University (ASU) Museum of Anthropology got me started again with large work. I was invited to participate along with a group of artists in creating work for a ofrenda (altar offering) for the 9th Annual Dia de los Muertos festival exhibit that will run Oct. 28, 2008 - Jan 23rd 2009.

Asked what I'd like to contribute, I suggested a large drawing of bones. The curator said yes, so I ordered a 10yd roll of paper from Daniel Smith, Inc. and got to work. It felt so great to be working large and for a purpose. Unless a piece is requested (for example, a commission), I try to restrain myself from creating large pieces as it's a hardship for my husband to schelp from exhibit to exhibit!

I finished the drawing this week and have prepared it for shipping. The final measurements were 52" tall by 16'6" long. I'm debating the title still. When I figure it out and get the photos back from my photographer, Gary Alvis, I'll post the final info.

www.CristinaAcosta.com

1 comment:

  1. Wow, very cool drawing. I hope to see it in person. Lots of movement and energy in this piece. You've done it again!

    ReplyDelete