Wednesday, November 19, 2008

ASU Exhibit - Love Always - Siempre Amor

Bones are one of my enduring motifs. I began collecting bones from the rangeland around my Bend, Oregon, home in the early 1980's. Since then, whenever I'm on a hike, if I see an interesting bone, I pick it up and bring it home to draw.

This image is part of the Ofrenda for the ASU Arizona State University, Museum of Anthropology 9th Annual Dia de los Muertos exhibit, Oct 28, 2008 - Jan. 29, 2008.

Love eternal, renewable and cyclical binds together the bones of life. Vertebrae spiral like strands of DNA as they fly from the past into the future. Arteries from the heart bloom into evergreen pine branches. Feathers, like the shed-horns of the deer and elk renew with the seasons. Elements move through the space of the drawing, the dirt of charcoal stains a counterpoint to their beauty.

Each element in the drawing has multiple layers of meaning. The embracing couple is framed with feathers, implying the presence of angels. The pelvis rendering has the feel of a Kachina mask, the hands coming together play on a popular pregnancy photo pose.

You can see more of my Hispanic Heritage art series on my site. I like the elements in this design and am interested in licensing this art. If you know of anyone that would like to license this design or elements in it for home decor or clothing, please pass on this post to them. Here's my contact info: phone (541)388-5157 email: Cristina@CristinaAcosta.com

www.CristinaAcosta.com

No comments:

Post a Comment