Tuesday, November 25, 2008

November Newsletter from My Website

Money problems and the bad economy are dominating headlines and entering most everyone's conversations (mine included) at some point during the day. It's almost impossible to be around people or connect to media and not hear something said about some aspect of money.

Our country's current financial instability is something that I can't obviously change, and that stresses me out. For stress relief I turn to something linear and controllable - exercise. I'm an active person, but in times of uncertainty I ramp up my exercise program. Maybe this doesn't seem very artsy or creative, but how I think about exercise is my creative approach to stress. Here's why: Targeted exercise creates measurable positive change in strength and power while relaxing the mind. And that equals control. Most of the control we think we have in life is often an illusion -- except for exercise.

Until I realized this, I often thought of exercise as something I fit around the days I was having fun in a sport like skiing or paddling my SUP board. Creating art is a very non-linear type of activity and I can spend days or weeks on a canvas and not be able to get at what I'm envisioning. Not only does exercise make me healthier, I can experience some linear measure of success with as little as an hour or so a day of minor discomfort. Bluebird_CMYK.jpg

Whatever the ups and downs may be in my day, not only does the success I feel translate into the rest of my day, I can eat more! Just in time for the holidays I wrote down my Pumpkin Sweet Potato Custard recipe so you can try one of my family's favorite desserts. It's like pumpkin pie without the crust.

The holiday season began this month with Dia de los Muertos (The Day of the Dead) and now we're heading into Thanksgiving. The election is over and the work of change is all of our responsibility. I am very grateful to live in our great country. May we all take a moment to count our blessings, not only our cash.

Happy Holidays,

Cristina

Conquistadora-Center-of-Cre.jpgExhibit Info November 2008:

Along with painting, I continue to write design articles regularly for Latina Style magazine, and offer color consulting services to home and business owners choosing paint colors in Bend, Oregon. I like sharing home design ideas with clients, it's a satisfying way to share my creative skills when I'm not painting or writing.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you said about creativity. Food for my soul. Paz, Ananda

    ReplyDelete